Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Detroit's Finest Police Chief

Her name is Ella Bully Cummins, and she is Detroit's first african american female police chief. a position that she has been widely known and well recognized. not only is she Detroit's Police Chief, Ms Cummins is an attorney as well. which gives her the inside scoop of what goes on inside of the court room as well as on the streets, of detroit. being a police chief is a big responsibility. I don;t know if I could take on such a job, even if I had the proper training for it. Ms cummins is another one of america's history makers. I am sure that even as I write this post about her, her family stands well proud of her. but the sad thing about being a successful african american. jealousy rages amongst us, and this is very sad. there is also alot of hatred and prejudice within the black community as well. and I think this where we need to educate our young people. as they grow up. I once sent chief cummins a letter written by a slave owner by the name of william lynch. back in the 1700s william lynch made a speech on the james river. about how blacks can be controlled and how blacks can be tricked into fighting amongst themselves. and as I went back to the history books I had a real sick feeling. I always wondered why african americans hated each other so much. the william lynch letter explained it all. chief cummins I am proud to see you as detroit's police chief. I think as you may have seen the william lynch letter, this may give you the ammunition you need to go into the schools and some of the run down neighborhoods in your city. and get to the young people. and talk to them. and of course maybe that is what you are doing now. and if so please continue to do so. there is enough hate in america, african americans don't need to hate each other.
this was william lynch's plan. and lo and behold it worked. I don;t know if this can be undone but we need to continue to talk to our young people and older people as well. i have discovered that cities that have a high population of african americans have the highest crime rates. and we can all thank william lynch for this tragedy.
however I have the utmost confidence in chief cummins, I am sure she will work hard to bring change in her city. I have visited detroit and there are still old reminders of the old race riots of the sixties. as I made my way through downtown detroit, I also noticed that alot of change has come about as well. detroit has come along way, but this city has along way to go. your dream to become a police woman came true chief cummins, and it even got you a promotion to police chief. continue to work with your communities everywhere. and continue to set the fine example for everyone. and even though the william lynch syndrome still lingers through our communities. we can fight it through education of our young people and older adults as well.

No comments: